I enjoy cooking, gardening, reading, and traveling.
- Ph.D., University of New Mexico, 2000, Literature
- M.A., University of New Mexico, 1993, Writing
- B.A., Emmanuel College, 1982, English
- ENGL 100, ENGL 110, ENGL 120, ENGL 150, ENGL 220, and ENGL 224
- I have taught English Education courses including English Methods and Literacy courses, Literature courses including Women Poets, Introduction to Literature, Young Adult Literature, and American literature, Writing courses including Composition, Creative Writing, and Developmental English. I have also taught high school Language Arts courses (9th-12th grades). I have initiated college and high school literary arts journals, organized and sponsored high school and college poetry slams, and facilitated poetry and fiction writing workshops.
- " 'Tales and Dreams': Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and Critical and Creative Thinking in the English Classroom." Comic Connections: Integrating Comics into the Classroom. Ed. Sandra Eckard. Lanham: Rowland & Littlefield. (forthcoming 2018)
- "Following the Mother(s): My Pilgrimage from La Madonna di Montevirgene to El Santuario de Chimayo." Voices in Italian Americana. 27.1 (2016): 3-15.
- 2015: "Walking into the Mouth." BorderSenses, Fall 2015.
- 2015: "A Map of All Our Sins." Red Mesa Review, Spring 2015.
- 2015: " 'Whose Side Is He On?': Teaching Complex Characters with Novels and Films." Yin and Yang in the English Classroom: Teaching with Popular Culture Texts. Ed. Dr. Sandra Eckard. Lanham: Rowland & Littlefield, January 2015. 49-61.
- 2014: Book Review of Via incanto: Poems from the Darkroom by Marisa Frasca. Voices in Italian Americana 25:2 (2014): 126-128.
- 2014: So Rough A Messenger. Book of Poetry. Finishing Line Press.
- 2013: "La Vergine (Madison, South Dakota)." In Bloodroot Literary Magazine. Vol. 6.
- 2012: "The Bone Poem." In New Tricks. Dakota State University.
- 2009: "Making Light, Crownpoint, New Mexico." In Imagination & Place: An Anthology. Imagination & Place Press.
- 2008 - "Confession." In Looking Back to Place. Eds. Susan McAllister, Becky Holtzman, & Mikeala Renz-Whitmore. Old School Books Press.
- 1999: "Awakening." In Puerto del Sol 34.1.
- 1998: "Hearing the Voices: Women and Home in Ana Castillo's So Far From God." In Melus: The Journal of the Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States 23.1: 65-79.
- 1997: "Grace." In Southwestern Women: New Voices. Ed. Caitlin L. Gannon. Javelina Press.
- 1994: " 'Always on the Brink of Disappearing': Women, Ethnicity, Class, and Autobiography." In Frontiers: A Journal of Women Studies 15.4: 51-68.
- 1992: Long Island Girl. Chapbook of poetry in Italian American Women Poets series, Ed. Rose Romano, Malafemmina Press.
- 2015-2016: Santa Fe Art Institute: Emmigration/Immigration Residency, Santa Fe, NM.
- 2014: National Endowment for the Humanities, Summer Institute: Dante's Divine Comedy, Florence, Italy.
- 2014: Mini-Grant. University of New Mexico at Gallup, Gallup, NM
- 2012: Writer's Residency, Starry Night Retreat. Truth or Consequences, NM.
- 2011-2012: Faculty Research Initiative Award, College of Arts and Sciences, Dakota State University, Madison, South Dakota.
- 2011: National Endowment for the Humanities Summer Institute. Awarded NEH Summer Institute scholarship.