Lobo Academy is a summer program that allows recent high school graduates to:
- Enroll in a 3 credit hour College Success class
- Receive FREE classes in writing, reading and math
- Receive financial aid (based on eligibility)
- Join the TRiO/Student Support Services program to increase your chance of success
- Learn about different careers and programs
- Become familiar with the campus, the staff, and the faculty
- Travel to a four-year university and learn about transfer options
- Meet new people
- Have FUN!!!
Why Should You Apply?
- Even with the highest levels of support, most high school graduates are not quite prepared for college.
- Academic expectations and demands of college courses are much higher than those of high school courses.
- Many students enter college and learn they have to take classes designed to prepare them for courses required to earn a degree and transfer to four-year universities. Sometimes, this can take several semesters and use up financial aid funds.
- The transition from high school to college is also challenging for students; gaining independence, learning how to navigate college systems, identifying whom to ask for assistance, learning how to manage time effectively, and knowing what to do to be successful are all areas that cause stress and cause students to fail.
- College Success will teach you many skills to ease the transition from high school to college, and the FREE classes will prepare you for college level work.
Lobo Academy Eligibility
- Must be a recent high school or GED graduate
- Must meet one of the following criteria: first generation (parent(s) did not earn a Bachelor degree by students’ 18th birthday, low-income, or have a documented physical and/or learning disability.
- Must plan on pursuing a college degree.