Access to and Confidentiality of Records

Access to and Confidentiality

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (Buckley Amendment)

Under the provisions of this Amendment the following policies apply:

  1. Currently enrolled students, or any who have previously attended UNM, may inspect their educational records upon making official request and obtaining an appointment to do so.
  2. A student may challenge inaccuracies or misleading items. However, the fairness of a grade may not be challenged under this provision.
  3. A student's record is not released without written consent except to UNM faculty and staff who demonstrate a need to know. Other exceptions are to comply with a judicial order or in an emergency involving the health or safety of a student or other person.
  4. When a record is released, the recipient is notified by UNM that the record may not be released to any other person. Directory information, as outlined below, may be released without the student's written consent unless the student has requested that directory information be withheld: Student's name, address, telephone listing, date and place of birth,major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and most recent previous educational agency or institutions attended.
  5. A record is kept of all persons (except UNM faculty and staff) who are given access to a student's records.
  6. Students may sign waivers releasing their records to prospective employers or other parties. Such waivers are retained in the record until the student notifies the University to withdraw it.
  7. Information about the Amendment is posted in all record keeping offices on the UNM campus, giving full details concerning the student's rights and privileges under the act.

Change of Address/Name

It is very important that the student keep the Registrar's Office informed of any changes made, including name, mailing and home address. To make the address/ name change, contact the Registrar's Office.

Student I.D. Cards

I.D.'s are available at the Registration Office. Photo I.D.'s will be taken each semester. The Registration Office will furnish dates as soon as they become available. Do not miss your opportunity to obtain your Lobo ID Card.

Student Identification Number

The University of New Mexico uses the individual student's Social Security Number as the student's identification at the University. This number is used for record-keeping purposes only. The authority to use the Social Security Number as the student's number comes from the Board of Regents and was adopted March 24, 1967. It is therefore mandatory that students disclose the Social Security Number to the University for identification purposes. If the student does not have a Social Security Number, the Registrar's Office will issue a temporary student identification number. The student must apply for a Social Security Number and notify the Office as soon as it is received.


The Records Office issues both official and unofficial copies of UNM student academic records. A student may request an official transcript of their academic record, and it will be issued in accordance with the student's wishes subject to transcript policies. A $10.00 fee is charged for all official transcripts. The student's signature is required to authorize the release of the transcript. Contact the Records Office, (505) 863-7524, for more information.

Transcript Holds

No official transcript at the University will be released to the student or to any other person or institution until all of the student's outstanding obligations to the University have been paid or until satisfactory arrangements have been made. These obligations include, but are not limited to, loans, such as the New Mexico Student Loan Program, library fines, tuition and fees, and other charges. All financial arrangements are handled in the Office of Student Accounting and Cashiers, not the Records Office. Transcripts also may be held for nonfinancial reasons such as incomplete admission status.