Transferring from Other Institutions


Students who wish to transfer to UNM Gallup from other schools must meet the same admissions requirements as all other applicants. Students must indicate on the application all previous college attendance. Applicants may not ignore previous college attendance even if they prefer to repeat all previous work. Students found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out admissions forms are subject to disciplinary action, including possible disenrollment. To receive transfer credit from previous institutions, official transcripts from those institutions must be mailed directly to UNM Gallup Office of Admissions. A transfer evaluation, reflecting those transfer credits acceptable at UNM, will be generated only after the student is officially admitted to a degree program at UNM Gallup or UNM Albuquerque.

Transfer Students will be awarded full credit for coursework completed with grades of C or higher at fully accredited institutions if the courses are the same or equivalent to UNM courses. Neither UNM nor UNM Gallup, however, accepts remedial coursework for transfer. Only credit earned in non-technical subjects is initially accepted from technical institutes, which are accredited by a regional collegiate accrediting association. Normally, no credit is accepted by UNM from technical institutes, business schools, or other post high school institutions which are not members of regional collegiate accrediting associations. However, students applying to, or currently enrolled in, the University who have earned technical credit which they believe would be applicable to the program they are pursuing may have official transcripts sent from their previous schools to the UNM Gallup Office of Admissions. It will then be the student's responsibility to request referral of the transcript by the Admissions Office to the department of he University having supervision over his/her particular program. The department will determine whether any of the credit is acceptable to its program and return the transcript, with recommendations, to the Office of Admissions. An interview or demonstration of competence, or both, may be required before the decision regarding credit is made. Acceptance of such credit would be binding only to the specific program recommending credit. It would be subject to reevaluation should the student later enter another program offered by the University.

Previous Suspension

A student under academic suspension from another college or university may not enter the University of New Mexico during the term of suspension. In cases of unspecified suspension periods, the University of New Mexico's suspension term will apply. Upon termination of the suspension, the student is eligible to request special consideration for admission to the University of New Mexico.

In general, students under disciplinary suspension are not admitted to the University of New Mexico. However, because the reasons for disciplinary suspension vary among institutions, a student may be suspended from one school for infractions that would not be actionable at another. Therefore, the University of New Mexico reviews such cases individually and, when justified, makes exceptions and allows the student to be considered for admission.

Transferability of UNM Gallup Courses

Transferability of courses taken at UNM Gallup is determined solely by the institution to which the student transfers. General Education (e.g. Math, English, Sciences, Humanities, etc.) courses numbered 101 or above are generally accepted by other institutions when these courses are part of, or are applicable to, a degree program at that institution. Courses listed in the class schedule and elsewhere that appear with an * (e.g., Business Technology 235*) are considered technical, vocational, or special and are generally not acceptable for baccalaureate credits except by petition to, and acceptance from, the degree-granting unit of the college or university to which the student transfers.

Transfer of Credits to UNM Albuquerque

Students intending to go to the Albuquerque campus to pursue a four-year degree should be aware that many of the necessary prerequisites for Albuquerque campus degree programs are offered at UNM Gallup. Students are cautioned that courses listed with an * (e.g., BSTC 232*) are considered to be technical/vocational courses and are not acceptable for transfer to baccalaureate programs except by petition to, and acceptance from, a UNM degree-granting program.

Students are encouraged to work with UNM Gallup advisors in planning their programs. Students wishing to transfer to the Albuquerque campus, and who are enrolled in programs offered only at UNM Gallup, must file an application and meet the admissions requirements of the specific college to which they are applying.

Complaint Procedure for Transfer Students

All New Mexico public post-secondary institutions are required to establish policies and practices for receiving and resolving complaints from students or from other complainants regarding the transfer of course work from other public institutions in the state. A copy of the University of New Mexico's complaint policy may be obtained from the Admissions Office or from the New Mexico Higher Education Department. 1068 Cerrilos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501-4295. (505) 827-7383 ( )