Introduction to UNM-Gallup

The University of New Mexico-Gallup admits all eligible applicants from New Mexico, other states and foreign countries. Because of the great diversity of the University’s students, special application and admission procedures have been created to meet the needs of the different populations. UNM-Gallup serves high school students, recent high school graduates, transfer students, non-degree students, returning and nontraditional students. Admission procedures and requirements vary in each of the categories listed below.

Beginning Freshman (no previous college work)
Non-Degree (presently not seeking a degree)
Transfer (last attended another institution)
International Students
Readmitted (stopped attending for three or more terms)
Dual Credit (high school)
Concurrent Enrollment (high school)

For all categories, the University requires full academic disclosure on the application forms. Any student found guilty of non-disclosure or misrepresentation on an application is subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University. Transcripts and test scores submitted to UNM-Gallup for admission become the property of the University and will not be sent elsewhere or returned to the student.

When to Apply

We strongly encourage students to apply as early as possible. Applications and fees are applicable for three consecutive sessions only. If you do not take advantage of admission and enroll within that period, a new application is required. Please check the UNM-Gallup Admissions webpage for applicable deadlines by term.

Use of Social Security Numbers

Your social security number is collected in the initial admission process only. It will not be the primary University identification number. It will not appear on your student identification card. UNM is required to collect your SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, and for record-keeping purposes. The University will protect the confidentiality of your SSN as required by law.

Eligibility for Admission

Enrollment Services directs all functions of the Admissions and Registration Office. The Office of Admissions is located in the Student Services & Technology Building. All correspondence regarding admissions should be directed to: UNM Gallup, Office of Admissions, 705 Gurley Avenue, Gallup, NM 87301.

The University of New Mexico Gallup has an Open Admission Policy. Admission is available to any student, not currently under suspension from any post-secondary institution, who meets at least one of the following criteria:

  1. Is a high school graduate, or
  2. Has passed the GED test.
  3. Is 18 years or older and not currently enrolled in high school. Students under 18 should contact the Admissions Office for special admissions programs and requirements.
  4. Is a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.

Admission to UNM Gallup does not necessarily mean acceptance into specific degree programs. For information on admission to specific degree programs, contact the department for more information.

Application Process

To apply to UNM Gallup, submit a completed admission form; applications may be submitted online at or in person. If you are applying for admission to a degree program (Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or Associate of Applied Science), you must also submit:

  1. $15.00 cash, check or money order (this is non-refundable).
  2. An official copy of your High School or GED transcript. The transcript must be sent to UNM Gallup directly from the institution of origin and bear the signature of the registrar or test center administrator.
  3. Official College transcript(s) from all accredited post-secondary institutions attended in any status.

Applications are required for students who:

  1. Have not previously attended UNM-Gallup;
  2. Have not attended UNM-Gallup for an academic year or more and are seeking readmission;
  3. Are changing from non-degree status to degree status;
  4. Are changing from a certificate to an Associate degree program;
  5. Are changing from a Bachelor’s degree program to an Associate degree program.

Certificate Programs:

Complete UNM Gallup application; please note that each program may establish entrance requirements beyond the minimum admissions eligibility criteria listed above. Individuals applying for Financial Aid must submit an Official High School Transcript.

Requirements for Non-Accredited High School or Home School Students

The University provides admission for those students who have been home-schooled or attended a non-accredited high school. Home School students must submit the following materials:

  1. Application for Admission.
  2. A $15 nonrefundable fee.
  3. Passing High School Equivalency test or home school transcript reflecting a graduation date.

Non-Degree Status:

You must be 21 years of age or older or, if you are under 21:

  1. Your high school graduating class must have been out of school for at least one full year; or -
  2. If you earned your diploma by the GED or HiSET exam, your graduating class must have been out of high school at least one year.

Students in non-degree status are not eligible to receive financial aid. The following students are not eligible for Non-Degree status:

  1. A student who is under disciplinary or academic suspension from UNM–Los Alamos or any other collegiate institution.
  2. A student who has exhausted his or her eligibility in University College and is not academically eligible to enter a degree-granting college at the University of New Mexico.
  3. A student planning to receive student financial aid.

Applicants for Non-Degree status are required to certify that they are not under suspension from any college or university. Students found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out the admission application form or who after admission or enrollment at UNM-Gallup are found to be ineligible for academic or other reasons to return to the last institution attended and fail to report this immediately to the Admissions Office, will be subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.

Transfer Students

  1. Complete and return an application for admission and a $15.00 nonrefundable application fee to the Admissions Office or apply online at
  2. Request that each college you have attended send an official transcript directly to the Admissions Office. A summary on one transcript of work at several colleges is not sufficient. If you are applying for the next academic session at UNM-Gallup while still enrolled at another institution, the official transcript must include a listing of courses in progress, as well as all completed work. (See note below.)
  3. If you are transferring to UNM-Gallup with fewer than 26 semester hours of accepted college work, you are considered a freshmen transfer and must submit a complete official transcript of high school work or official GED scores.

Applications will not be processed until all the required items are on file with the Admissions Office.

To allow students at other institutions to make definite plans for transfer, a determination of admission status may be made before courses in progress are completed, subject only to receipt of the final transcript. Students permitted to register prior to receipt of their final transcripts may be disenrolled if their transcripts do not reach the Admissions Office within three weeks after the beginning of classes.
NOTE: The student must indicate on the application all previous college attendance. Applicants may not ignore any college attendance, even though they did not successfully complete coursework or may prefer to repeat all courses. Students found guilty of nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out admission application forms, or who find after admission or enrollment that for academic or other reasons they are ineligible to return to their last institution but fail to report this immediately to the Admissions Office, are subject to disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.

Previous Suspension

A student under academic suspension from another college or university may not enter UNM-Gallup during the term of suspension. In cases of unspecified suspension periods, the University’s suspension term will apply. Upon termination of the suspension, the student is eligible to request special consideration for admission to UNM-Gallup. In general, students under disciplinary suspension are not admitted to UNM-Gallup. However, because the reasons for disciplinary suspension vary among institutions, a student may be suspended from one school for infractions that would not be actionable at another. Therefore, UNM-Gallup reviews such cases individually and, when justified, makes exceptions and allows the student to be considered for admission.

Transfer of Credits

UNM-Gallup evaluates without prejudice courses from postsecondary institutions that are regionally accredited or are candidates for regional accreditation. Transfer students will receive full credit for course work completed with a minimum grade of “C,” provided the classes are similar or equivalent to courses offered at the University. Transferable courses with grades of “D” from New Mexico state institutions are accepted in transfer but may not be counted toward degree completion.

UNM-Gallup operates on a semester credit calendar. Therefore, classes from quarter system institutions will be recalculated to semester hours (one quarter hour equals .66 semester hours.)

UNM-Gallup does not accept personal development or dogmatic religion courses. Credit is not awarded for work or life experience, cooperative education or for courses from out-of-state in which the grade received was lower than “C.” Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in calculation of the UNM grade point average. This grade point average will reflect only classes taken at UNM.

Transfer among New Mexico Higher Education Institutions

To facilitate transfer of students and course credits among New Mexico’s colleges and universities, the state’s public institutions of higher education are required to accept transfer courses taken within approved modules of lower division course work and apply them toward degree requirements. Several transfer guides have been developed through collaboration of New Mexico’s public postsecondary institutions, consistent with requirements of state law (21-1B, NMSA 1978). Students enrolling for first-year or second-year study at a New Mexico institution and wishing to prepare for possible transfer into a degree program at another institution are advised to take these courses during their freshman and sophomore years.

In addition, as a branch of UNM, UNM-Gallup offerings of 1000- and 2000-level courses from the UNM catalog are automatically transferable to UNM-Albuquerque, if you score a C or better. You will need to see an advisor to see which credits transfer to a program of a particular college. Planning ahead means that you choose the correct option for the college (such as Engineering) you intend to transfer to later.

Student Responsibility

New Mexico’s colleges and universities have collaborated to produce guides to assist students who plan to transfer before completing a program of study. Course modules are designed to help students select courses carefully so that they may transfer with little or no loss of credit. However, planning for effective transfer with maximum efficiency is ultimately the student’s responsibility. Responsible transfer planning includes early and regular consultation with the intended degree-granting institution to assure that all pre-transfer course work will meet the requirements of the desired degree.

Transferable Lower-Division General Education–Common Core

For students enrolled at any public institution in New Mexico, the following courses are guaranteed to transfer to any other New Mexico public college or university and apply toward associate and baccalaureate degree program requirements. Students should consult advisors at their current institution regarding which specific courses fit these categories. Students preparing for careers in engineering, health sciences or other profession-related fields are advised that some of this coursework may not transfer toward general education requirements but in most cases will apply toward elective requirements.

Area I: Communications 9 semester hours
(a) College-Level English Composition 3-4 hrs.
(b) College-Level Writing (a second course building on the above) 3 hrs.
(c) Oral Communication 3 hrs.
Area II: Mathematics and Statistics 3 semester hours
(a) College Algebra 3 hrs.
(b) Calculus Calculus
(c) Other College-Level Mathematics and Statistics 3 hrs.
Area III: Laboratory Science 8 semester hours
(a) General Biology w/lab 4-8 hrs.
(b) General Chemistry w/lab 4-8 hrs.
(c) General Physics w/lab 4-8 hrs.
(d) Geology/Earth Science w/lab 4-8 hrs.
(e) Astronomy w/lab 4-8 hrs.
Area IV: Social/Behavioral Sciences 6-9 semester hours
(a) Economics (Macro- or Microeconomics) 3 hrs.
(b) Introductory Political Science Introductory Political Science
(c) Introductory Psychology 3 hrs.
(d) Introductory Sociology 3 hrs.
(e) Introductory Anthropology 3 hrs.
Area V: Humanities and the Fine Arts 6-9 semester hours
(a) Introductory History Survey 3 hrs.
(b) Introductory Philosophy 3 hrs.
(c) Introductory Course in History,
Theory or Aesthetics of the Arts or Literature
3 hrs.
Totals to be selected 35 semester hours

Transferring Courses to Fulfill the New Mexico General Education Common Core

During the 2005 New Mexico Legislative session, Senate Bill 161, consistent with requirements of state law (Chapter 224 of the Laws of New Mexico, 1995, as amended) was signed into law to further enhance and facilitate the articulation of general education courses among New Mexico’s colleges and universities. In accordance with policies established by the New Mexico Higher Education Department, designated general education core courses successfully completed at any regionally accredited public institution of higher education in New Mexico are guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico public institution. Students who have decided on a major and/or an institution at which to complete their studies should consult with an academic advisor at that particular institution to determine the most appropriate course selections. Students enrolling for the first-year study at a New Mexico college or university and considering possible transfer into a certificate and/or degree program at another institution are encouraged to take the courses approved for transfer during their freshman and sophomore years of study.

The core matrix of approved courses guaranteed to transfer and meet general education requirements at any New Mexico college or university can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department website. The course prefix and number that appear in parenthesis next to many of the institutions’ internal course prefixes and numbers is the New Mexico Common Course Number. This is a four-alpha/four-numeric set of uniform course designations that serve as a single reference point for courses taught throughout the state that share substantially equivalent content. Courses bearing this designation are part of a statewide equivalency table that cross-references the institutional course and number with the universal “common course number” creating an easy one-to- one match.

Students may find the New Mexico Common Course Number listed in crosswalks, degree outlines, transfer guides, and in course descriptions in college catalogs and Web sites. Simply put, the common course number connects equivalent courses at multiple institutions ensuring students that the course will transfer to the receiving institution, and meet degree requirements as if it were taken on that campus.

The New Mexico Common Course Number has an alpha prefix that identifies readily to the subject area. The four digits in the number represent the specific course in that subject area with each digit having significance as demonstrated below:

New Mexico Common Course

BIOL 1 11 4
Four Character Academic Prefix Course Level: Freshman= 1, Sophomore = 2 Course Sequence Credit Hours: 1,2,3 or 4

Inter-Institutional Transfer Guides and Catalogs

Students who have selected a field of study and/or the institution where they wish to graduate are advised to consult the transfer guide or catalog for that institution for more current and detailed advice to guide their course selection. An online tool to determine institutional transfer equivalencies, along with a number of published transfer guides are available at

Complaint Procedure for Transfer Students

All New Mexico public post-secondary institutions are required to establish policies and practices for receiving and resolving complaints from students or from other complainants regarding the transfer of coursework from other public institutions in the state. A copy of the University of New Mexico’s complaint policy may be obtained from the Registrar's Office or from the New Mexico Higher Education Department, 2048 Galisteo, Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100, (505) 476-8400.

Evaluation of Credit

Transfer courses are evaluated in the Admissions Office to determine acceptable transfer credit on a course-by-course basis for college-level credit earned at institutions who are fully accredited by any of the six U.S. regional associations. Lower-level course equivalencies are determined by the Admissions Office based on course content, as described in the catalogs of those institutions and in consultation with appropriate academic units at UNM. The student must contact an academic advisor in the college of their desired major in order to determine how the transferred courses will be applied to a degree program.

Requirements for International Students

The Global Education Office (GEO) at UNM-Albuquerque provides services to international students and scholars coming to UNM and wishing to be enrolled into a degree granting program. The Office of International Admissions within the GEO handles admission of all degree-seeking international students to the University of New Mexico. To know more about the admission process and requirements for new international students, please contact the Office of International Admissions directly at

Readmitted Students

A UNM-Gallup degree-seeking student who stops attending for three or more sessions, including a summer, must file an application for readmission online or in person; a non-refundable application fee of $15.00 is required for readmission to an Associate degree program.

If you attended another institution while away from UNM-Gallup or have taken college-level correspondence or extension courses, send an official transcript from each college you have attended directly to the Admissions Office. A summary on one transcript of work at several colleges is not sufficient. If you are applying for the next academic semester at UNM- Gallup while still enrolled at another institution, the official transcript must include a listing of courses in progress, as well as all completed work.

Students who have been suspended or dismissed as the result of disciplinary problems shall not be readmitted to the University without a required interview with the Manager of Enrollment Services. The University reserves the right to refuse any student readmission on the basis of his or her student history, either academic or disciplinary.

Dual Credit (high school)

Dual credit is a program that provides public high school students the opportunity to receive credit for both a high school course and a college course by taking qualifying coursework. Dual credit is approved through state statute, revised in 2007 by the State Legislature – Senate Bill 943, Statutory Authority, Section 9-25-8 NMSA (01/01/08).The Dual Credit Program allows qualified public, charter, homeschool and tribal school students to enroll in college-level courses offered by a public postsecondary educational institution that may be academic or career technical but not remedial or developmental, and simultaneously earn credit toward high school graduation and a postsecondary degree or certificate. The program is designed to increase education opportunities, provide a college-level experience and encourage more high school students to pursue higher education.

Meeting the criteria listed below does not mean that the student will be automatically admitted to the Dual Credit Program. In all cases, the final admission determination will be made by the UNM-Gallup Registrar’s Office.

  1. The student must have the certification and unconditional recommendation of the high school as well as proof of parental consent prior to participation on the Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment Application Form.
  2. The student must furnish the Admissions Office with a current, official, high school transcript including their grade point average and STARS number.
  3. A student planning to enroll in English or Math must meet the minimum placement scores determined by UNM-Gallup in either the ACT, SAT or utilized placement tests.
  4. A student planning to enroll in any course that has a prerequisite requirement must meet the minimum prerequisite or test score.

Concurrent Enrollment (high school)

UNM-Gallup offers a Concurrent Enrollment Program for high school and home school students who only want college credit. Concurrent enrollment functions similarly to dual credit, but does not require that the college course be aligned with a corresponding high school course. Consequently, the student is not guaranteed that the high school will accept the college credit toward high school graduation requirement. The student must have proof of parental consent prior to participation on the Dual Credit/Concurrent Enrollment Application Form. The high school must furnish the Admissions Office with a current official high school transcript.

Alternative Credit Programs

UNM-Gallup grants college credit for certain outside training, courses, and examinations. In all cases, students must be enrolled in undergraduate degree status. The guidelines for each of these programs are as follows:

Technical Credit: Under special circumstances, students may receive credit for technical courses that are not normally transferable to UNM-Gallup. Students who have earned technical credit which they believe may be applicable to their specific degree programs can request a review of that credit by the department chairperson or program director. An interview or demonstration of competence or both may be required before a decision regarding credit is made. Acceptance of technical credit is binding only to the specific department or program recommending the credit.
Training Credit: Credit for non-collegiate training programs is granted based on recommendations of the American Council of Education’s “National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs” and institutional policies. Official records must be supplied to the Student Services Office by the appropriate source.
Military Credit: Credit for military service is granted based on recommendations of the American Council of Education’s “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Service” and institutional policies. No credit is granted for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS).