Student Services Information


The Records and Registration Office is responsible for the maintenance of the educational records at the University of New Mexico. This includes, but is not limited to, student transcripts, academic folders and faculty grade reports. The following information refers to some of the policies and procedures for educational records. Note: Proper photo identification (driver’s license, LoboCard, passport or other state or federally issued identification) is required for all in-person transactions.

Use of Social Security Numbers

The Social Security Number (SSN) is not the primary University identification number. The Banner ID/student ID number is the primary University identification number. UNM is required to collect SSN in order to provide full access to services such as financial aid, to ensure an accurate academic record, student employment, and for record-keeping and statistical purposes. The University protects the confidentiality of SSN as required by law.

Access to and Confidentiality of Student Records

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) November 19, 1974

Student Records Policy

Approved by the University President 4/93. Amended 3/20/96.


Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), students have the right to inspect and review most education records maintained about them by the University of New Mexico, and, in many cases, decide if a third person can obtain information from them. Nine categories of information, however, are public (or directory information) unless a student asks that some or all of that information be withheld. It is the policy of the University to comply fully and fairly with the provisions of the Act, Federal Regulations and this policy.

Limitations on Access to Student Records

No one inside or outside the University shall have access to, nor will the contents of students’ education records be disclosed without the written consent of the students except as provided by the Act and Regulations. Exceptions in the Act and Regulations include but are not limited to the following: personnel within the institution determined by the institution to have a legitimate educational interest, officials of other institutions in which students seek to enroll or are enrolled, persons or organizations providing student financial aid, accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, persons in compliance with judicial orders and persons in an emergency when necessary to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.

Students’ Right of Access to Review Their Records

A student has the right to inspect and review all education records about him or her except:

  • Personal notes (available only to writer or substitute) of University staff and faculty.
  • Certain student employment records.
  • Counseling records used solely for treatment.
  • Certain records of the University Police.
  • Parents’ financial records.
  • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation placed in the records before January 1, 1975.
  • Confidential letters and statements of recommendation for admission, employment, or honorary recognition placed in the records after January 1, 1975, which students have waived the right to inspect and review.

Informing Students of Their Rights

This policy will be published in the UNM Pathfinder or its successor.

Location of Student Records

Student records are not maintained in a central location. Instead, these records are maintained by each office with which a student has contact while enrolled at the University. A partial list of places where educational records are maintained by various University offices is listed below.

  • Admissions Office, Director of Admissions, Student Support and Services Center
  • Career Counseling and Placement, Director, Career Counseling and Placement, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
  • Cashiers and Student Accounting, Bursar, John and June Perovich Business Center
  • Center College and Department Offices, Academic Dean, or see individual college listing in the course schedule
  • Dean of Students Office, Dean of Students, University Advisement and Enrichment Center
  • Records and Registration Office, Registrar, Student Support and Services Center
  • Student Financial Aid, Director, Student Financial Aid, Student Support and Services Center

Records Excluded from the Definition “Education” or “Student” Records

The following categories of records are not included in the term “education records” or “student records” under the Act:

  • Records of instructional, supervisory, administrative and certain educational personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker and are not revealed to any other individual (except a substitute who performs on a temporary basis the duties of the person who made the record).
  • Records of the University Police. These records are maintained and created by the University Police Department for the purpose of law enforcement. Their disclosure is subject to rules and regulations of the University Police, consistent with applicable law.
  • Records relating to individuals who are employed by the University which are made and maintained in the normal course of business, relate exclusively to individuals in their capacity as employees and are not available for use for any other purpose. However, it should be noted that records of individuals in attendance at the University who are employed as a result of their status as students are education records and as such may be inspected by the student.
  • Records which contain only information about a person after that person is no longer a student at the institution, e.g., information gathered on the accomplishments of alumni.

Review Policies and Procedures

Requests to inspect and review records must be made, in writing, to the office that keeps the records. Although it is the University’s policy that requests to inspect records be honored as promptly as possible, the offices have up to 45 days to honor such requests. It is the policy of the University to provide the student upon request with photocopies of her or his records where that will help the student in inspection and review of the records unless: (1) the record to be copied is an examination, in which case permission of the faculty member is necessary, or (2) where a student’s record is being withheld because of an outstanding financial obligation to the University. Fees for photocopies of materials in the records are the same as University offices charge for photocopies of other materials. At its option, an office may furnish copies at no charge, or take the materials to a copy/duplicating center on campus, where the current rate for cash work will be charged.

Release Policies and Procedures, University Employees and Agents

The University will not disclose personally identifiable information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent, except when it is permitted by the Act and Regulations. As permitted by the Act and Regulations, information will be disclosed without the student’s consent to University officials with a legitimate educational interest. These officials or their agents, and their interests, include:

  • Any University employee who needs the information to fulfill job responsibilities.
  • University collection agents only for the purposes of collecting debts owed to the University.
  • Legal counsel advising or representing the University.
  • National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Mountain West Athletic Conference only for the purposes of conforming to eligibility rules for athletic competition.
  • Contractors, such as data processing, only for the purposes of performing work under contract for the University.
  • Honorary societies, and other chartered student organizations, only for determining membership eligibility/requirements, when the societies and/or organizations do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race/ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, serious medical condition, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, spousal affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.
  • University researchers, including students doing research under the supervision of a faculty member, if there are safeguards to protect the security of personally identifiable data and if it will not be possible to ascertain the identity of any student in any dissemination of the data or research results.
  • Officials of cooperating universities in which the student is enrolled or has applied.

Release to Alleged Victims of Crimes of Violence

The results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the University in response to allegations of a crime of violence allegedly committed by a student shall be disclosed upon request to the alleged victim(s) of such crime of violence.

Directory or Public Information Categories

The University, in accord with the Act, has designated categories of information about students as “directory information” which is public unless a student asks to have all of it withheld. These categories are:

  • Name
  • Major field of study
  • Enrollment Status
  • Dates of attendance (matriculation and withdrawal dates)
  • Degrees and awards received (type of degree and date granted)
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams.

A student wishing to keep confidential the “directory information” listed above must file a written request with the Office of the Registrar. This request may be submitted in person, by mail or fax. Once a confidential privacy flag has been placed on a student’s record the directory/public information will not be released to individuals, companies or third party entities outside the University of New Mexico. The confidential privacy flag will not automatically be removed upon graduation from the University of New Mexico. If you have requested a confidential privacy flag, your name will not appear in the University of New Mexico Commencement Program.

The removal of the confidential privacy flag may be requested in person and in writing by fax or mail. The address is: Records and Registration Office, MSC11 6325, 1 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001. The fax number is (505) 277-6809. The following information is needed to process the request by fax or mail: student name, Social Security number and signature.

Requests for Disclosure

University offices will maintain a record of disclosures and requests for disclosure of personally identifiable information from a student’s record except when the request for disclosure is directory information, pursuant to the student’s consent, or is to a school official described in this policy. It is the policy of the University to permit the student to inspect this record of disclosures and requests for disclosure pertaining to his or her records. All disclosures (except for disclosures to the student or disclosures of directory information) shall be made on the condition that the information shall not be further disclosed without the student’s consent.

Right to Challenge Information in Student Records

It is the policy of the University that a student may challenge any information in his or her education records which he or she believes to be inaccurate, misleading or in violation of privacy. This right does not extend to reviewing grades unless the grade assigned by a professor was inaccurately recorded in the records. A student may also insert a statement in the records explaining any such material from his or her point of view. If a student wishes to challenge information in the file, he or she must make a written request for a hearing to the dean, director, or chairperson of the office which maintains the record. In most cases, the decision of the dean, director or chairperson will be final. However, a student may appeal in writing to the Associate Provost or the Vice President for Health Sciences or their designee, as the case may be, who will review the decision only if a significant question of policy or compliance with the law appears to be raised by the case.

Waiver of Rights Not Required

It is the policy of the University that students not be required to waive their rights under the Act before receiving University services or benefits.

Assistance with Problems or Questions about Compliance

  • If a student has questions about the provisions of the Act, he or she may contact the Office of the Registrar.
  • If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, he or she should direct comments concerning this to the Office of the Registrar.
  • If a student believes that the University has not complied with the Act, written complaints may be filed with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA), U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW., Washington, D.C. 20202- 4605, telephone (202) 732-1807.
  • The Registrar shall either resolve the issue or shall refer it to the appropriate University body for resolution.
  • Copies of and information about the Rights and Privacy Act are available in the Records and Registration Office, Student Support and Services Center.

Demographic Information Updates

Change of Address/Phone

Current students may process a change of address or phone number for their academic records by using LoboWeb, Personal Information– Update My Information.

Change of Legal Name

To process a name change for academic records students must bring appropriate documentation to the Records and Registration Office. The appropriate documentation includes proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification) and the Social Security card showing the new name. The name on the photo identification must match the name on the Social Security card. No other type of documentation is accepted.


A non-transferable photo identification card is issued to each University of New Mexico student. The ID card, also known as the LoboCard, allows students to check out materials from UNM libraries; and to access recreational services and other student activities.

The following policies are in effect for the LoboCard:

  1. The LoboCard is the property of the University of New Mexico.
  2. The card is issued once and is valid upon admission to the University. It is activated upon a student’s enrollment for a particular term. The LoboCard remains valid for the duration of a student’s college career, and it activates and deactivates according to enrollment status. ID cards may be obtained at the LoboCard office. Proper photo identification (driver’s license, passport, other state/federally issued identification, etc.) is required.
  3. LoboCards are issued with the student's name as recorded in the University Student Information System, unless the student registers an affirmed/preferred first name.

    Affirmed/Preferred First Name: UNM recognizes that individuals may prefer to use a first name other than a legal name to identify themselves. As long as the use of this affirmed/preferred first name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation or to avoid a legal obligation, individuals may use their affirmed/preferred first name in UNM systems wherever that functionality is enabled and permitted. Affirmed/preferred first names are limited to alphabetical characters and certain special characters. Individuals requesting an affirmed/preferred first name must present a government- issued photo ID matching the legal first and last name contained in the LoboCard Office's carding software. The Registrar's Office will review affirmed/preferred first name changes regularly. Any decision to remove an affirmed/preferred first name will be made by a committee comprised of the Registrar and a representative from each of the following: the Dean of Students Office, the Division of Equity and Inclusion, the Office of Equal Opportunity, University Counsel, and an ad hoc representative.
  4. Updates to name or other student identifying information require that the change be reported to the Records and Registration Office prior to LoboCard re-issuance.
  5. Lost or stolen LoboCards must be reported as soon as possible to the LoboCard Office.
    • A non-refundable, non-waivable fee is collected for replacement or reprinted LoboCards.
    • Payment of a replacement fee constitutes authority for the deactivation and deletion of the missing identification card from the University of New Mexico’s card database. Once that occurs, the old LoboCard can never be reactivated.
    • Students should contact the card office to inquire if a lost card has been returned.
  6. Fraudulent use of a LoboCard is cause for card privileges to be revoked. Unauthorized alteration, production, use, possession or reproduction of a LoboCard is prohibited, may constitute theft, and can result in prosecution (30-14-2 NMSA 1978). In addition, such action could result in referral to the Dean of Students Office for disciplinary proceedings and/or to appropriate authorities for legal action.

The LoboCard Office is located in the Admissions office in the Student Services and Technology Center.

Non-Resident Students

The student is responsible for obtaining the correct residency classification prior to the end of the second week of the semester. A student not classified as a New Mexico resident for tuition purposes is charged tuition as a non-resident. Refer to the Residency section below.


Summary of Regulations for New Mexico Residency for Tuition Purposes

A student who enters and remains in this State principally to obtain an education is presumed to continue to reside outside this state, and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence. A student determined to be financially dependent on an out-of-state parent or guardian also assumes the residency of that parent or guardian. The burden of proof is on the student. The student must secure and file the residency petition with the appropriate documents of evidence in the manner described herein. All documents submitted for this purpose are kept confidential. Residency petitions are accepted until the second Friday of each Fall and Spring semester in the Admissions office.

To become a legal resident for tuition purposes of the State of New Mexico, the student must meet four basic requirements. Each person must individually meet the requirements.

The 12-Month Consecutive Presence Requirement

A student must physically reside in the state for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the student submits a petition.

The Financial Independence Requirement

A student who is financially dependent on parents or legal guardians who are not residents of New Mexico cannot be approved for residency. At the time the student petitions for residency (if under 23 years of age), a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ 1040 or 1040A U.S. income tax form for the previous year must be submitted with the petition. If shown to be a dependent on that tax form, the student is not eligible to establish residency apart from the parents or guardians.

The Written Declaration of Intent Requirement

The student must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in another state and to establish it in New Mexico (included in residency petition).

The Overt Acts Requirement

Overt acts are required to evidence support of the written declaration of intent to establish permanent residency in New Mexico. Documentation of two of the following is required:

  1. If the applicant is financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax form showing the applicant as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico;
  2. A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a New Mexico public or private high school within the past 12 months;
  3. A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the past 12 months;
  4. A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester;
  5. Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;
  6. Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;
  7. New Mexico vehicle registration;
  8. Voter registration in New Mexico;
  9. Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;
  10. A rental agreement within New Mexico;
  11. Utility bills showing the applicant's name and a New Mexico address;
  12. Other evidence which would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.

Any act considered inconsistent with being a New Mexico resident will cause the request for resident classification to be denied. As such, other relevant factors may be considered in addition to the items listed above.


  1. A person who has moved to New Mexico and has obtained permanent full-time employment (sufficient documentation is required) and his/her spouse and dependent children shall not be required to complete the 12-month durational requirement. However, all other requirements must be satisfied.
  2. Active duty military members stationed in New Mexico, their spouses and dependents are eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. Members of the National Guard, their spouses and dependents are also eligible for waivers of non-resident tuition. A form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the second Friday of the term to obtain these waivers.
  3. According to the University of New Mexico’s tuition policy: Non- resident, degree-seeking graduate students enrolled for six or fewer credit hours in their first two semesters are charged resident tuition rates.

Students enrolling for the Summer session are charged resident tuition rates regardless of residency classification.

The residency petition and a brochure that explains requirements for establishing New Mexico residency for tuition purposes and special tuition status waivers are available from the Admissions office. For more information, visit the Office of the Registrar website.

Schedule of Classes

The Schedule of Classes is an official online publication of the Office of the Registrar. The publication includes course offerings, dates, times, and class locations. The schedule can be accessed at


Registration Procedures

Details are outlined on the StudentInfo website located at

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition and fees is required to complete registration. For specific information regarding tuition, fees, payment and payment deadline dates refer to

Methods of Instruction, Class Hours, and Credit Hours Information

Methods of Instruction

The University of New Mexico and its branches offer courses with the following methods of instruction: Community-Based Research, Hybrid, Open Learning, Online, Laboratory, and Service Learning.

Class Hours and Credit Hours

For all methods of instruction, UNM’s assignment and award of credit hours conforms to commonly accepted practices in higher education in accordance with federal regulations 34 CFR 602.24(f).

The minimum requirements for assigning one (1) semester credit hour consists of one (1) 50-minute period of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two (2) hours of out-of-class student work each week of the semester, or at least an equivalent amount of work as established by the degree granting college.

Course Load Guidelines


Fall/Spring Semesters

  • Full-time: 12 or more credit hours.
  • Three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours.
  • Half-time: 6-11 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours.

Summer Session

  • Full-time: 6 or more credit hours.
  • Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours.
  • Half-time: 3-5 credit hours.
  • Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours.

Students withdrawing after the grade required deadline are subject to a grade of "W" (withdrawal). The W grade is not included in the total course load. Courses taken in Audit status are also not included in total course load.

Enrollment Limit

Undergraduate students may not take more than 18 credit hours during a semester and 9 credit hours during the Summer session, except with approval from the student’s academic advisor. Students in non-degree status who have not earned at least a baccalaureate-level degree must contact the Academic Advisement at (505) 863-7663 to discuss enrollment limitations and options.

Addition of Correspondence or Extension Courses to Program. A resident student may enroll for correspondence and extension courses only when the addition of such courses does not cause the course load to be over the maximum.

Registration Restrictions

Prerequisite and Corequisite Requirements

The University of New Mexico checks prerequisites on all courses numbered 100 – 499. If a student does not have the required prerequisite(s), he/she is not able to register for the specific course. All prerequisites must be completed with a C or higher letter grade, unless otherwise identified by the academic department/unit offering the course. Corequisite checking occurs for all courses numbered 100 – 499. Registration for corequisite courses must occur at the same time. A student is not able to register for one corequisite course without the other.

Additional Restrictions

Colleges and Departments may further restrict access to their courses based on Campus, Classification, College, Degree, Level, Major, Program and/or special permission requirements. Overrides for these restrictions may be requested from the department offering the course or from the instructor (in most cases). For more information, see FastInfo answer #4060 at

Enrollment Certification

Enrollment Certifications are requested by individuals, institutions or organizations for information related to a student’s past or current enrollment. Information requested normally takes the form of validation of confirmed degrees, dates of attendance or whether a student is enrolled full- or part-time. Enrollment Certificates display the student's legal first name.

The National Student Clearinghouse is the University of New Mexico’s authorized agent for providing enrollment and degree verifications. If an employer or background-screening firm requests such information, refer them to the National Student Clearinghouse at (703) 742-4200 or the National Student Clearinghouse Web site.
Verification forms from financial lenders should be sent directly to the National Student Clearinghouse for fastest response.

The University of New Mexico will produce an Enrollment Certificate validating a student’s status for the current semester, not earlier than January 1 for the Spring semester and not earlier than August 1 for the Fall semester. If a student wishes to have his/her entire academic history certified, or semesters not covered by the certification process, the student must request a transcript. The University of New Mexico does not certify expected graduation date. Military dependents requesting exception to this policy must submit a written request explaining the need for a Pre- Registration Certificate, provide a copy of their current military ID, and be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours on the immediately-upcoming semester.

The certification document can be mailed, faxed, or emailed on request, or it may be picked up with proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification, or LoboCard.). The Enrollment Certificate replaces the institutionally specific forms. The Course Load Guidelines above are used to determine enrollment status for financial aid eligibility and loan deferments. Graduate students with an assistantship must submit a copy of their contract with their verification request.

Current students may also request an automated enrollment certificate through LoboWeb, which is received through their email account.

Changes in Enrollment

Once registered, students may process schedule changes during appropriate periods through the drop/add procedures. Procedures for schedule changes and deadlines are found on the Office of the Registrar Web site. Changes made after deadlines are subject to late transaction fees.

Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing drops, adds, withdrawals and grade options for Summer session and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the Office of the Registrar Web site for specific dates.

For 16-week courses, the following applies:

Add: A student may add courses or change sections through the second week of the semester.

Drop: A student may drop a course or courses without a grade during the first three weeks of the semester.

Withdrawal from a Course. After the third week a student may withdraw from a course until the end of the 12th week of the semester and is subject to a grade of "W". After the 12th week, course withdrawals are only accepted with approval from the dean or director of the student’s college. No withdrawals are accepted after the last day of instruction of the semester, prior to final exam week.

NOTE: Faculty are not responsible for dropping students who do not attend. It is the student’s responsibility to check the accuracy of his/her course schedule.

Change in Grading Option. Changes in grading option (including audit, pass-fail (CR/NC), letter grade, graduate credit) in any course may be made through the fourth week of the semester.

Students are responsible for ensuring they are registered in any course for the proper grading option.

Completion of Courses. Students are responsible for completing all courses in which they are enrolled at the University. Changes in enrollment, drops or withdrawals must be officially processed. A student who does not follow proper course or University withdrawal procedures may be given a failing grade and is responsible for tuition charges associated with the course.

Grade Options


A student may register to audit a course, with written permission of the instructor. A student who fails to attend class may be dropped at the instructor’s request. The fee for audited courses is the same as for credit courses.

Audit enrollment receives no credit and is not included in the student’s total course load for purposes of enrollment certification and financial aid enrollment requirements. Audited courses appear on the academic record. Courses taken for Audit may be repeated for credit.

Pass/Fail (CR/NC) Option

  1. This grading option is open to students enrolling in courses that do not apply to their major.
  2. A student is permitted to enroll in a maximum of 4 credit hours per semester under the pass/fail (CR/NC) grading option.
  3. CR (credit) is the equivalent of at least a grade of "C". Students who do not satisfactorily complete a course under pass/fail (CR/NC) grading receive NC (no credit).
  4. A course may be changed to the pass/fail (CR/NC) grade option. Visit the Office of the Registrar Web site for semester deadlines.
  5. A maximum of 24 credit hours graded pass/fail (CR/NC) is allowed toward a baccalaureate degree. Graduate students may not count more than 6 credit hours of coursework in which a grade of "C" (2.0), "C+" (2.33) or "CR" was earned.
  6. Courses which are specifically approved for pass/fail (CR/NC) grading are not included in the 24 credit hour maximum allowed toward degree requirements.
  7. The following may not be taken under the pass/fail (CR/NC) option:
    • Courses in the University Honors Program and the Undergraduate Seminar Program.
    • Courses that are part of the student’s major (as defined by the major department) with the exception of those courses specifically approved for use of pass/fail (CR/NC) grading.
    • Courses that are part of the student’s minor (see specific college and departmental requirements).
    • Correspondence courses.
    • Courses the student repeats after first taking the course under the regular grading system.

Some schools, scholarship committees and honorary societies do not accept this grading system and convert grades of “Credit” to "C" and “No Credit” to F when computing grade point averages, or may otherwise penalize students who use this option.

NOTE: Students may not be penalized by a department if, when selecting or changing a major field, they have taken a course in their major on a pass/fail (CR/NC) option basis.

Withdrawal from the University

  • Students can withdraw from all courses through the end of the 12th week by using LoboWeb if holds do not exist on their account. At the beginning of the thirteenth week, a student who is withdrawing from all courses must have approval from the Registrar’s office. Students may contact the Registrar’s office at, (505) 863-7623, for advisement on withdrawal from all courses.
  • Students who withdraw during the first three weeks (regular full semester) of classes do not receive a grade notation on their academic records. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date.
  • University withdrawals initiated after the third-week (regular full semester) of classes are subject to a grade of "W". All withdrawal grades are assigned by the instructor during the regular grading period. The notation on a student’s record is “Withdrew” followed by the date, along with the course name and grade assigned.
  • Summer Session and Short Courses. Deadlines for processing withdrawals for Summer session and short courses vary according to the length of the course. Consult the Semester Deadlines on the Office of the Registrar Web site for specific dates.
  • Students leaving the University during a semester without withdrawing according to this regulation are subject to faculty assigned grades.
  • Students are responsible for all outstanding financial obligations when withdrawing. See the “Tuition Refund Deadlines” section for more information.

Policy on Military Withdrawals

Under faculty regulations, students and/or their dependents who formally withdraw from the University before the end of the 12th week of the semester due to military obligations are entitled to a grade of "W" in each course in which they are enrolled. Military orders or evidence of active duty deployment, deployment in place, or involuntary/unplanned training must be made available to the Dean of Students Office. A student and/or his/her dependent who withdraws due to military obligations after completing 12 weeks of instruction receives full credit for each enrolled course provided the instructor certifies a grade of "C" or higher for the course at the date of formal withdrawal. If the instructor certifies a grade less than "C", the student receives a grade of "W". The student must opt for either a tuition refund or for a grade assignment after the 12th week. A final semester senior who has satisfactorily completed at least half of the work for enrolled courses, provided these would complete degree requirements, may be certified for graduation by the faculty of his/her college. Any dependent seeking a military withdrawal must provide proof of that relationship. Visit the Dean of Students Web site for a “Request For Military Withdrawal” Form in order to initiate the Military Withdrawal process.


Transcripts will display the student's legal name as indicated in the student's UNM record.

Class Hours and Credit Hours

A class hour consists of 50 minutes. One class hour per week of recitation or lecture throughout a term earns a maximum of one (1) credit hour.

Course Numbering System

The University of New Mexico began the transition to a four-alpha, four- number (e.g., ENGL 2310) Common Core Course Number effective Fall 2019, in compliance with 5.55.5 NMAC. This transition will not affect all course numbers at once.

Courses offered at the University are numbered from 001 through 999:

  • 001 to 100 courses may or may not carry credit, but are not applicable to a baccalaureate degree.
  • 101 to 1999 courses are lower-division, and are normally open to freshmen.
  • 200 to 2999 courses are lower-division, and are normally open to sophomores.

NOTE: Undergraduate or non-degree students without a degree may not enroll in any graduate problems courses for undergraduate credit. Technical, vocational or special courses are applicable for baccalaureate credit only upon petition to and approval from the University of New Mexico degree granting unit.

Freshmen may in some instances qualify for courses numbered in the 200's. Courses numbered 300 and above are not open to lower-division students (freshmen and sophomores) except in rare instances, and then only with the approval of the college dean. When appropriate, students may be disenrolled from courses numbered 200 and above. See the individual college sections of this Catalog for specific regulations.

Official Transcripts

The fee for each official transcript requested is $10.00. There are additional shipping fees. Fees are subject to change.

Official transcripts may be withheld for financial reasons and are not released until the student’s outstanding financial obligations to the University have been paid, or until satisfactory payment arrangements have been made. All financial arrangements are handled in the Bursar’s Office. Students may request transcripts in the Office of Admissions located in the Student Services and Technology Building. Proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally- issued picture identification, or LoboCard) is required when ordering and picking up transcripts in person.

Unofficial Transcripts

Current students may access their unofficial transcripts on LoboWeb. Unofficial transcripts are free with a maximum of three copies per request. Students may visit the Office of Admissions to request and/or pick up an unofficial transcript. Proper photo identification (valid driver’s license, military ID, passport or other state- or federally-issued picture identification, or LoboCard.) is required when ordering and picking up transcripts in person.

Transcript Requests

Both current and former students may request official transcripts online at the Office of the Registrar Web site.

Mail requests to:
Office of Admissions ATTN: Transcript Request 705 Gurley Avenue
Gallup, NM 87301
Fax: (505) 863-7610

Mailed requests must include the following information:

  • Student signature
  • Date of request
  • Current/previous name(s)
  • Social Security Number/UNM ID
  • Date of birth
  • Dates of attendance
  • Student email address (for order status updates)
  • Current address
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Address to which the transcript is to be sent
  • For official transcripts only: check or money order

Official transcripts are printed on security paper which will indicate “Copy” when faxed or copied. Electronic transcript versions cannot be photocopied or printed and remain official.

Other Exclusions

  • Email requests cannot be honored except when ordered online at the Office of the Registrar Web site.
  • Another person may not request or pick-up a student's transcripts without specific written authorization from that student.
  • All persons picking up transcripts must show proper photo ID.
  • The University of New Mexico does not provide copies of test scores or transcripts of academic work from other institutions. The original institution must be contacted for such information.


Grade Notification

Semester grades are available via LoboWeb. Grades are posted nightly as they are entered by the instructor. Final semester GPA calculations, Dean's List determinations and probation/suspension decisions are processed after the last official day of the semester.


The University of New Mexico utilizes a fractionated grading system. Following are the allowable grades and associated grade points:

A+ 4.33
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
CR Credit. Results in credit for the course, but is not computed into the grade point average. CR is the equivalent of at least a grade of C. At the graduate level, CR is used to report completion of a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. See the following pages for specific information concerning pass/fail (CR/NC) option grading.
NC No Credit. Not computed into the grade point average. At the graduate level NC is also used to report unsatisfactory completion of a master's thesis or doctoral dissertation. Certain workshops and courses may be offered under CR and NC as defined above.
NR Not Recorded. If a grade has not been received by the end of the grading period, an NR is assigned. A grade of NR is not computed into the grade point average. After two years, the remaining NR grades are converted to W grades.
PR Progress. Used to indicate that a thesis or dissertation is in progress, but not complete. In the semester when the thesis or dissertation is completed, CR or NC is reported.
I Incomplete. Given only when circumstances beyond the student's control have prevented completion of the work of a course within the official dates of a session. (See the policy on Removal of Incomplete.)
AUDIT Recorded for completion of enrollment in an audited course. No credit is earned for an audit grade option.
WP Withdrawal Passing. Course withdrawals after the grade required deadline were subject to the grade of WP, if passing the course at the time of withdrawal.
WF Withdrawal Failing. Course withdrawals after the grade required deadline were subject to the grade of WF, if failing the course at the time of withdrawal. The grade of WF is calculated as a failing grade in the student's grade point average.
WNC Withdrawal No Credit. Not computed in the grade point average. WNC indicates an official withdrawal in a pass/fail (CR/NC) enrollment option or course approved for pass/fail (CR/NC) grading.
W Withdrawal. Used for withdrawals after the grade required deadline beginning in Fall 2012, and for approved administrative withdrawals at the end of a semester. Examples of administrative withdrawals include: determination by the instructor that the student never attended the class, processing errors, catastrophic illness of the student or other reasons beyond the student's control.
RS Reinstatement. Not computed in the grade point average; no credit is earned. An RS grade is used for approved retroactive enrollment in a 599 or a 699 course when the student did not complete any work on the thesis or dissertation.
NOTE: Graduate students may not be assigned C-, D+, D or D- grades.

Grade Point Average

An undergraduate student’s grade point average is calculated by dividing the total number of quality grade points earned at the University of New Mexico by the total number of credit hours attempted, and truncated by two decimals. These credit hours must be attempted in courses with letter grades and the courses must be numbered 100 or above. Courses for undergraduate students given a grade of W, WP, WNC, CR, NC, PR, AUD, or I are excluded in the grade point average calculation. For graduate students, the Graduate Studies office, internally for their record keeping processes, calculates a grade of “I” as a 2.0 until replaced by another letter grade.

Beginning Fall 2006 the academic transcript reflects a level GPA. The courses a student takes become a part of the level to which the student has been admitted. If a student is in an associate degree program, the level is associate degree, and all the courses taken in that level are reflected in the associate GPA. Courses that are not remedial or technical are also calculated into the undergraduate GPA. If the student is in a bachelor’s degree program, the courses taken in that status are calculated in the undergraduate GPA. The various levels are Associate, Undergraduate, Graduate, Non-Degree Undergraduate and Non-Degree Graduate. Each level has a GPA.

NOTE: This is a general University of New Mexico grade point calculation. Schools and colleges within the University may compute the grade point average differently.

Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in calculation of the University of New Mexico grade point average. The UNM transcript is the official record of the student's grade point average at UNM, and reflects only courses taken at the University of New Mexico.

Dean's List

The academic standing of all students is reviewed at the end of each Fall and Spring semester and Summer session in accordance with the regulations of their College. If available, Dean's List indication on an undergraduate student's academic record is noted when GPA calculations are determined one week after the official last day of the semester. Enrollment in late-starting, correspondence or other off-pattern courses may prevent awarding of Dean’s List if grades are not submitted prior to end-of-term processing. Students with incomplete (I) or not recorded (NR) grades at the time of this calculation are not included on the Deans' List.

Incomplete (I) Grades

According to academic policy, incomplete grades must be completed before a student is eligible to graduate from the University of New Mexico. The grade of "I" is given only when circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented completion of the coursework within the official dates of a semester/session.

Students should not re-enroll or re-register (for credit) in a course in which an I (Incomplete) grade has been assigned in order to resolve it. If an instructor requires the student to repeat the class in order to resolve the Incomplete, the student must register for the course on an audit basis. The fee for an audited course is the same as for credit courses.

Grade changes to Incomplete grades must be received no later than one year (twelve months) from the published end day of the term in which the grade was assigned. Incomplete grades not resolved within the time frame stated in this policy are automatically converted to an F (Failure) grade.

Students who resolve Incompletes in the term of graduation must have the process completed (including the reporting of the grade to the Records and Registration Office, before the start of the new semester). Students are responsible for informing instructors that they are graduating and the grade(s) must be reported by the appropriate deadline. Failure to complete the process as described could result in the postponement of graduation until the following term.

The instructor of record reports the final grade for the course in which the Incomplete was assigned to the Records and Registration Office.

Extension of Incomplete

A student may apply for an extension of the time allowed to complete the coursework required to remove the I grade. The Extension of Incomplete form may be obtained in the Records and Registration Office or from the Office of the Registrar Web site. A student who re-enrolls in residence may be granted a one-semester extension. If an extension is granted, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the I grade is removed by the date indicated. The Extension of Incomplete form must be submitted no later than the last day of the term.

Repetition of a Course

A student may repeat any course, but only receives credit once, unless otherwise noted in this Catalog. ALL ATTEMPTS and ALL GRADES are computed in the student’s grade point average. A grade replacement policy is available for repeated coursework as described below.

Grade Replacement Policy

The course repeat policy was revised by the Faculty Senate to include a grade replacement option effective Spring semester 1991. Under this policy, only undergraduate students may repeat a course for a higher grade and have the lower grade removed from the grade point average. This revision is an option for students who meet the criteria outlined below. Repeated courses for students who do not meet the criteria, or who choose not to make use of the option, automatically fall under the existing policy as described under “Repetition of a Course.” The following outlines the procedure for the implementation of this course repeat (grade replacement) option. NO EXCEPTIONS ARE MADE TO THIS POLICY.

  1. The Grade Replacement policy is effective as of Spring semester 1991 and affects only the University of New Mexico coursework from Spring 1991 forward. This means that the first attempt in a course cannot have been prior to Spring semester 1991. The policy is not retroactive to any semester prior to Spring 1991.
    Note: A student who fails a course at the University of New Mexico and repeats the same course with a grade of "C" or higher at another college or university may have the credit accepted for transfer, but the grade received at the University of New Mexico will continue to be computed in the grade point average.
  2. Students in undergraduate status are eligible to use this policy, and only coursework that applies to an undergraduate degree is considered for a grade replacement.
  3. A repeated course must result in an improved grade in order to replace the other grade (e.g., a "D" cannot replace a "D"). The higher grade removes the lower grade from the grade point average and earned credit hours. Grades of CR, NC, PR, WP and W are not replaceable grades since they do not affect the grade point average.
  4. The process is not automatic. Students must initiate the process by completing a form in the Records and Registration Office, indicating which course is to be replaced. The course numbers and titles must be identical, except where equivalencies or a change has been noted in the University of New Mexico Catalog. Substitute courses are not acceptable. Forms are accepted after the second attempt in the course has been completed.
  5. A grade replacement may be applied only to 12 credit hours of repeated coursework. Only one grade replacement is allowed for each course, regardless of the number of times the course has been repeated.
  6. Once a grade replacement has been approved, the process cannot be reversed or changed.
  7. No grade may be replaced after a degree has been awarded.
  8. All grades remain on the record. An “E” appears on the transcript next to the course that has been replaced.
  9. Students registering for a late-starting course cannot use the Grade Replacement Policy to replace a grade within that same semester.

NOTE: This policy applies only to courses taken and repeated at the University of New Mexico.

Change of Grade

The instructor of a course is responsible for any grade reported. Once a grade has been reported to the Records and Registration Office, the instructor may change it by using the Instructor Initiated Grade Change and Incomplete Removal process through LoboWeb. Only the instructor who issued the original grade (instructor of record) may submit a change. Grade changes submitted more than 30 days after end of semester are reported to the offering College Dean. Any change in grade must be reported within 12 months after the original grade was issued and prior to graduation. Grade changes may be referred to the Admissions and Registration Committee of the Faculty Senate for approval.

Grade Petition Procedure

  1. A student seeking retroactive withdrawal, enrollment, or a grade option change; or further academic record changes involving exceptions to the rules governing registration and academic records, may submit petitions to the Office of Admissions. This petition process does not cover disputes involving academic judgment (Refer to the UNM Pathfinder, “Student Grievance Procedure,” Article 2, Academic Disputes).
  2. The petition must state the nature of the request, specify the semester involved, the course and section number, the student’s name, identification number, mailing address and telephone number. It must include documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as medical, family or employment needs. The petition must be typed and signed.
  3. A student may only petition grades up to one year after an instructor and dean grade change form can be utilized to change a grade. (Effective as of April 2005 as approved by Faculty Senate Operations Committee.) This means no grade change can be petitioned after two years in which the course(s) was/were taken.
  4. Upon receipt of student’s petition, the instructor(s) involved is contacted for a statement concerning the request.
  5. The petition (along with instructor comments) is forwarded to the Grade Petition Subcommittee of the Faculty Senate Admission and Records Committee for review and decision. If the petition is approved, appropriate modifications are made to the student record.
  6. The student is notified in writing of the outcome of the petition. The decision of the subcommittee is final.
  7. The student is responsible for tuition and fees incurred.

Academic Renewal Policy

Academic Renewal applies to students seeking undergraduate degrees who have been readmitted to the University of New Mexico after an absence of five years or more. The procedure allows a currently enrolled student to request an academic record review for the purpose of reevaluating previously-earned University of New Mexico credits and recalculating the student’s grade point average from the point of readmission.

The student may obtain a petition from the Office of Admissions. If all criteria are satisfied, the petition will be approved and the academic record appropriately noted.


Academic Renewal Guidelines

NOTE: Non-degree, second undergraduate degree, graduate students, or students who hold an Associate’s degree from The University of New Mexico are not eligible for Academic Renewal.

  1. Academic Renewal may be applied only once and is not reversible.
  2. An absence of five or more years must have elapsed between readmission and the last date of enrollment at the University of New Mexico.
  3. The student must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. Additionally, college entrance requirements such as minimum hours and grade point average must still be met after Academic Renewal has been applied.
  4. After readmission to the University of New Mexico, at least 12 earned credit hours, but no more than 36 earned credit hours, must be completed in good standing (2.00 GPA or higher) before Academic Renewal can be applied.
    NOTE: If the degree-granting unit has placed the student on probationary status, it is not automatically changed by Academic Renewal.
  5. All graduation requirements must be satisfied after Academic Renewal, i.e., minimum earned credit, residence credit requirement, cumulative grade point average, etc.
    NOTE: Credit earned prior to Academic Renewal does count toward the residence credit requirements.
  6. All courses taken prior to Academic Renewal remain unaltered on the record. An appropriate notation is added to the record to indicate Academic Renewal. Courses with a grade of "C" or "CR" or higher taken prior to Academic Renewal are carried forward as earned credits. Application of these credits towards a degree is determined by the degree- granting unit.
  7. Courses with a grade of "C-" or below taken prior to Academic Renewal are noted and do not count as earned credits or as satisfying any graduation requirements.
  8. Academic Renewal, when applied, is effective as of the date of the readmission following the five-year absence.
  9. The cumulative grade point average after academic renewal is calculated on the basis of courses taken since the readmission following the five-year absence.

Scholastic Regulations


Policies regarding student attendance at class meetings are set by each instructor.

Students should not assume that nonattendance results in being dropped from class. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate drops or complete withdrawals within published deadlines utilizing LoboWeb or via forms available on the Office of the Registrar Web site.

A student with excessive absences may be dropped from a course with a grade on recommendation of the instructor. Instructor initiated drops are submitted utilizing LoboWeb.

Information on reporting short-term absences to instructors can be found under Notification of Absences in this page of the Catalog.

Classroom Conduct

The instructor is responsible for classroom conduct, behavior and discipline. Any action that would disrupt or obstruct an academic activity is prohibited. The instructor may refer situations involving classroom misconduct to the Dean of Students Office for additional action under the “Student Code of Conduct” as published in the UNM Pathfinder.

Use of classrooms or other facilities during scheduled activities is limited to enrolled students and University personnel. Use of these facilities during nonscheduled periods should be arranged with the appropriate department or other division of the University. Smoking, eating and drinking are prohibited in all classrooms and teaching laboratories, including seminars.

Dishonesty in Academic Matters

Each student is expected to maintain the highest standards of honesty and integrity in academic and professional matters. The University reserves the right to take disciplinary action, including dismissal, against any student who is found responsible for academic dishonesty. Any student who has been judged to have engaged in academic dishonesty in coursework may receive a reduced or failing grade for the work in question and/or for the course.

Academic dishonesty includes, but is not limited to, dishonesty on quizzes, tests or assignments; claiming credit for work not done or done by others; hindering the academic work of other students; and misrepresenting academic or professional qualifications within or outside the University.


Nondisclosure or misrepresentation on applications or other University records make a student liable for disciplinary action, including possible dismissal from the University.


Students are subject to dismissal from a college or a degree program based on minimum requirements set by that college or program. Refer to each college section of this Catalog for specific requirements. Dismissal from a college or degree program is not the same as suspension, but may preclude the student from enrolling at the University.


Probationary status serves as a warning to students that they are no longer in good academic standing, and that they may be suspended. Students are placed on probation at the end of any semester in which the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.00. Students should expect special requirements to be placed while on probation.

Students on probation are considered for suspension at the end of any semester in which the cumulative grade point average does not rise to 2.00 or better.

Students placed on probation may be continued on probation, if they substantially raise the cumulative grade point average and are making reasonable progress in meeting degree requirements. “Substantially raise the cumulative grade point average” is defined as earning a semester grade point average of at least 2.5. “Reasonable progress” is defined as at least one-half of the student’s course load being courses (exclusive of remedial courses) which apply towards the student’s degree requirements. If these conditions are not met, the student is suspended from the University of New Mexico system.


Students on suspension may not enroll for classes at the University of New Mexico until their suspension period has been completed.

Suspension Period: Students suspended for the first time may not enroll for classes at the University of New Mexico for a period of one semester from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the second time may not enroll for classes for a period of two semesters from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the third time may not enroll for classes for a period of five academic years from the date of the suspension.


  1. Summer sessions are counted with the following Fall semester for purposes of this policy, e.g., a student suspended at the end of a Spring semester may not attend either the following Summer session or Fall semester.
  2. Students absent from the University for a year or more must reapply for admission to the University.
  3. Students who are accepted for readmission after suspension are readmitted on probation in the accepting college.
  4. The Registrar may specify the number of credit hours for which a student may enroll following a suspension. They may also require students to drop courses which seem beyond their abilities.
  5. Attendance at another institution during suspension must be indicated on the student’s application for readmission, and an official transcript must be sent to the Office of Admissions as part of the reapplication.

Senior Citizens

An individual may qualify for a reduced tuition rate of $5.00 per credit hour, if he/she is:

  • Age 65 or older as of the 21st day from the start of the semester.
  • Classified as a New Mexico resident as defined by the NM Higher Education Department.
  • Registering for no more than ten (10) credit hours.
  • Registering on or after the first day of the semester. Note that registration attempts prior to the first day of the semester result in full tuition charges, even if the class is dropped and added after that date.

Fees (subject to change without notice)

Tuition and Fees

Visit the Bursar's Office Web site for information regarding Tuition and Fees, Refund Deadlines, Billing, Payment on Account, Payment Plans, Financial Aid Refunds, etc.

Special Course Fees

See fee information for each term at the Schedule Web site. Special Course Fees are refunded using the same refund schedule as tuition and fees.

Enrollment Requirements for Financial Aid

To receive financial aid, students must generally enroll at least half-time as regular students in eligible programs. Scholarships generally require full- time enrollment. Audited classes are not included toward financial aid enrollment requirements. Award amounts are generally prorated according to enrollment status. Grant payments are locked at the end of the third week of the Fall and Spring semester. If a student increases his/her enrollment after the third week, the grant funding does not increase.

Federal regulation also prevents students from receiving financial aid funding for coursework that the student has received credit in more than once.

Students are responsible for meeting minimum enrollment requirements. Students who knowingly receive aid to which they are not entitled may be in violation of University policy and state or federal laws.

Questions should be directed to the Student Financial Aid Office.

Enrollment Requirements

1. Fall/Spring Semesters
a. Full-time: 12 or more credit hours
b. Three-quarter time: 9-11 credit hours
c. Half-time: 6-8 credit hours
d. Less than half-time: 5 or fewer credit hours
2. Summer Session
a. Full-time: 6 or more credit hours
b. Three-quarter time: 5 credit hours
c. Half-time: 3 or 4 credit hours
d. Less than half-time: 1 or 2 credit hours

Crediting Financial Assistance to a Student’s Account

Approved and awarded financial aid credits into students’ accounts if students register for the required number of hours and meet all the respective financial aid program requirements.

These programs include:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • UNM 3% Grants
  • Medical Grants and Scholarships
  • Other Grants and Scholarships
  • TEACH Grant
  • Federal Direct Loans
  • Other Loans

For external scholarship or loan checks, students must visit the Cashier Department to endorse the checks.

After financial aid awards credit into students’ accounts and current and past due charges are paid, the remaining balances are either deposited directly into students’ bank accounts or checks are mailed to students. Students cannot pick up refund checks from the Cashier Department.

Enrollment Cancellation

Enrollment Cancellation [Due to Lack of Financial Commitment] is a date set by UNM Office of the Bursar, and prescribed by state statute, by which a student must make a financial commitment by accepting financial responsibility for current term charges AND pay their entire prior semester balance or be dropped from their current term courses.

Your Enrollment Cancellation Balance is due by 5:00 PM on the stated Enrollment Cancellation deadline date. Failure to pay this balance or set up a payment plan before the deadline will result in your being dropped from all your current term courses.

You can view your Enrollment Cancellation Balance over LoboWeb.

Student Financial Aid

The following information explains the application process and answers questions about financial aid at the University of New Mexico. To maximize the opportunity for funding, the application for aid must be received by January 3. Students must also respond to any request for additional information in a timely fashion (and by January 31 to maximize the opportunity for funding). Pell Grants and Federal Direct Loans remain available to eligible students who submit applications after the January 3 priority date.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for all types of federal and state need-based aid. Students can apply for financial aid on the Web or by completing the paper application. Students are encouraged to apply at the Federal Student Aid Web site. The University of New Mexico’s Federal School Code is 002663. All prospective students must be admitted to the University of New Mexico to receive an offer of financial aid.

The costs of attending the University of New Mexico include:

  • tuition and fees
  • room and board
  • books and supplies
  • transportation
  • personal expenses
  • child care costs, if applicable

To be considered for financial aid, students must apply every year.

For additional information regarding costs and financial aid at the University of New Mexico, access the Student Financial Aid Office Web site.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students must meet a minimum standard of academic performance in their coursework and progression toward a degree. All students’ academic progress is monitored at least annually to determine continued eligibility for assistance. Students in Certificate programs are monitored each semester. There are three major components to the University of New Mexico’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy:

Grade point average: Students are required to maintain a grade point average consistent with graduation requirements for their major as follows:

  • While completing the first 30 credit hours as an undergraduate, a student must attain a minimum 1.7 GPA.
  • Students with more than 30 credit hours must sustain a minimum 2.0 GPA.

Completion rate: Students must successfully complete at least 67% of the total credit hours they attempt. Classes in which grades of A, B, C, D or CR are earned are considered completed. Repeated courses were already counted as completed, and are not counted twice. All attempted credit hours from any college (including non-degree hours) are counted whether or not financial aid was received. This calculation includes all hours in which a student is registered at the time of withdrawal. All earned transfer hours are considered to be earned and attempted for this calculation as well (whether aid was received or not). Remedial classes and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes are also counted as attempted credit hours. Courses taken for AUDIT are not counted in the student’s total course load for purposes of financial aid eligibility. For graduate students, 100- and 200-level classes count as hours attempted, but not hours earned, because they do not count toward the completion of a graduate degree.

Maximum time frame: Undergraduate students must complete their programs of study within 150% of the published length of the program, measured in credit hours attempted. Example: if the published length of the academic program is 128 credit hours, the maximum time frame for completion is 192 attempted credit hours. All attempted credit hours from any college, including non-degree hours, and hours attempted in completing a prior certificate or degree, count toward the maximum allowable credits regardless of whether financial aid was received. Courses with assigned grades of F, WF, W, WP, I, NC and repeated courses all count as attempted credit hours. In addition, remedial classes and ESL classes are counted in this calculation, even though these classes do not count toward the student’s graduation requirements. To receive financial aid, graduate students must complete their degree within the maximum time frame allowed by their graduate program.

Students who fail to meet satisfactory progress, are no longer eligible to receive financial aid at the University of New Mexico. Students with extenuating circumstances beyond their control, such as a serious personal illness, divorce, or the death of a close family member are allowed to petition.

Typical Sources of Financial Aid

Program Per Academic Year Maximum Award Amount
Federal Pell Grant Maximum $5,920
TEACH $3,724
Federal Supplemental Ed. Opportunity Grant Maximum $1,000
State Student Incentive Grant Maximum $2,500
State College Affordability Grant Maximum $1,000
UNM Bridge to Success Scholarship $1,800
NM Lottery Success Scholarship Tuition amount Up to tuition amount (does not include fees) subject to change, based on NM legislature
Federal/State College Work/Study Undergraduate $5,000
Federal Perkins Loan Maximum $4,000
Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized) Freshman $3,500
Sophomore $4,500
Federal Direct Loan (Unsubsidized) Freshman $7,500*
Sophomore $8,500*
Junior/Senior $10,500*
* Minus any subsidized amount borrowed
PLUS Loans Dependent Students Cost of education minus financial aid awarded

Student Employment

Students in a degree-granting program seeking part-time employment while attending The University of New Mexico may apply for student employment jobs. Information regarding student employment and links to available student employment and work-study positions are posted on the Employment Office Web site.


UNM-Gallup offers several scholarships for qualified students. General scholarships are awarded through the Scholarship Office on a competitive basis and in line with donor requirements. There is a common application for general scholarships. Information on available scholarships and the application process can be located on the UNM-Gallup Financial Aid website.

Student Conduct, Grievance and Appeals

The Dean of Students Office administers the Student and Visitor Codes of Conduct and has jurisdiction over behavioral disciplinary matters, academic dishonesty (when referred by an instructor) and appeals from students, student court or campus boards (where appeals are provided for in their bylaws and/or the University of New Mexico policy). The Dean of Students Office representative for UNM-Gallup is the Director of Student Affairs, who oversees conduct, grievance, and appeal matters for the Gallup campus. Questions about these procedures should be directed to the Director of Student Affairs. The complete procedures and codes of conduct are in the UNM Pathfinder.

UNM Pathfinder: The Student Handbook

The UNM Pathfinder is the most comprehensive handbook of student services at the University of New Mexico. The UNM Pathfinder gives general information, including office locations and telephone numbers, about academic support and cultural programs, athletics and recreation, student organizations, entertainment, financial services, food, health and medical assistance, housing, the University of New Mexico policies affecting students, commuting and parking and other services and programs.

Drug-Free Campus

This policy on Illegal Drugs and Alcohol is adopted pursuant to federal laws and reflects the commitment of the University to an environment free of drugs and the illegal use of alcohol. Drug and alcohol abuse on campus poses a serious threat to the health, safety and welfare of faculty, staff and students, impairs work and academic performance, and conflicts with the responsibility of the University to foster a healthy atmosphere for the pursuit of education, research and service. Therefore, the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession or use of controlled substances or alcohol on University property, or as part of any of its activities by any member of the University community–faculty, staff or student–is strictly prohibited. Additional information concerning this policy is available through the Campus Office of Substance Abuse Prevention, the Dean of Students Office, Human Resources and the Faculty Grants and Contracts Office. The University’s policy is distributed annually to all students, faculty and staff members and printed in its entirety in each edition of the UNM Pathfinder.

Student Resources

Academic Advisement

In Student Services, Student Success Specialists are available on a drop-in basis or by appointment to assist students in determining educational goals and dealing with personal concerns that may affect academic progress. Student Success Specialists advise students in selecting classes, planning course schedules, deciding on degree programs, interpreting transfer evaluations, meeting graduation requirements, and resolving problems relating to policies and procedures.

Advising Mission: To develop a partnership with students to build their knowledge of degree requirements and campus resources to ensure their successful completion of a Certificate and/or Associate program that supports their progression into a career and/or transfer to continue their education.

Student Responsibilities

  • Making regular contact with advisor(s) each semester;
  • Preparing for each advisement appointment with materials, specific questions for discussion, and general ideas of courses for the upcoming semester (if the meeting concerns registration);
  • Being an active learner by participating fully in the advising experience;
  • Asking questions if an issue is not understood, or to resolve a specific concern;
  • Gathering all relevant decision-making information;
  • Becoming knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures;
  • Identifying degree programs that align with academic interests and abilities;
  • Familiarize themselves with dates and deadlines (registration, final exams, etc.) as listed on the UNM Academic Calendar;
  • Understanding registration and the course add/drop and withdrawal polices and ramifications;
  • Regularly checking and using their UNM email account for official correspondence;
  • Accepting responsibility and ownership for academic decisions.

Advisor Responsibilities

  • Communicate degree requirements, institutional polices, and procedures;
  • Explain academic polices and procedures;
  • Be accessible during office hours and for walk-in appointments;
  • Respond to messages in a timely manner;
  • Document summaries of advisement session discussions;
  • Counsel decision-making and responsible development of educational plans for achievement;
  • Aid with identifying and using relevant University resources;
  • Monitor and actively document progress;
  • Assist in understanding the purpose and objectives of higher education and its effects on the student's life and personal goals;
  • Encourage and guide the student to define and develop clear and realistic educational plans;
  • Maintain confidentiality.

Academic Advisement is located in the Student Services and Technology Center. Additional information can be accessed on the UNM-Gallup Academic Advisement website.

Accessibility Resource Center

In keeping with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the University is committed to providing equal access and reasonable academic accommodations to qualified students with disabilities as necessary to ensure quality access to courses, programs, services, and facilities at the University. The UNM- Gallup Accessibility Resource Center has been established to support students through:

  • Verifying disabilities and need for accommodations
  • Recommending reasonable accommodations
  • Informing students of their rights and responsibilities
  • Advocating program access
  • Problem-solving with student and, if necessary, the instructor, in response to student concerns regarding the implementation or consistency of reasonable accommodations

However, students with disabilities are still required to adhere to all University policies, including policies concerning conduct and performance.

The student is responsible for demonstrating the need for an academic accommodation by providing the Accessibility Resource Center with complete and appropriate documentation that establishes the disability, and the appropriateness of the requested accommodation(s). The University is responsible for all costs of academic accommodations.

For more information contact the UNM-Gallup Accommodations Specialist at

Center for Academic Learning

The Center for Academic Learning (CAL) provides students with academic support, skills, and strategies that help them succeed in individual courses and with transferrable skills that help throughout their entire academic careers. The center is staffed by education specialists and peer tutors who provide tutoring services in a variety of disciplines, such as literacy (reading/writing), math, and science. CAL collaborates closely with faculty to ensure that students meet course and assignment expectations effectively and independently. The Center for Academic Learning is located on the second floor of Gurley Hall.

TRIO/Student Support Services

TRIO/Student Support Services is federally funded program through the United States Department of Education designed to provide opportunities for academic development, assist students in meeting basic college requirements, and serves to motivate students towards the successful completion of their post-secondary education. SSS seeks to close the opportunity and achievement gap, and increase the retention and graduation rates of underserved and under-represented students. The SSS program is committed to the success of first-generation, low-income, and/or students with disabilities (physical or learning) who have academic need and the motivation to achieve their maximum potential in higher education.

The TRIO/Student Support Services program is located on the first floor of Gurley Hall.

TRIO/Upward Bound

TRIO/Upward Bound is a federally funded program through the United States Department of Education. Upward Bound is a pre-college preparatory program for students in 9th, 10th, or 11th grade enrolled in target schools within the Gallup McKinley County School District. Students must qualify for selection to the program. Once selected, students remain in the program until their graduation from high school and the completion of their first summer of college. The program is academically designed to challenge high school students to develop the skills, study habits, discipline and necessary attitude/motivation required to succeed in high school and college. Upward Bound offers a comprehensive year-round program that is divided into two components: Academic year, and Summer program.

The TRIO/Upward Bound program is located on the first floor of Gurley Hall.

Veterans Resource Center

The University of New Mexico Gallup is an approved Veterans Administration site for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance. To apply for and/or initialize benefit payments, eligible students must contact the UNM Gallup Veterans Resource Center each and every term of enrollment. For additional information regarding utilizing veterans benefits at UNM Gallup please visit or contact 505.863.7645. The University of New Mexico has various sites that offer courses eligible for certification of benefits. These sites include:

UNM Albuquerque

Veterans Resource Center
SUB Suite 2002
MSC03 2215
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131


Financial Aid Office
1157 County Road 110
Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557

UNM Valencia

Office of Admissions
280 La Entrada Rd.
Los Lunas, NM 87031

UNM Los Alamos

Financial Aid Office
4000 University Drive
Los Alamos, NM 87544

Determination of Educational Benefits & Programs

To apply for benefits and determine which benefits for which you qualify, access the following website:

Veterans Administration Benefits Compliance for Pending Payments

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), the University of New Mexico Gallup adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA. This educational institution will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Enroll in classes (including 2nd 8-week courses) prior to the Enrollment Cancelation deadline;
  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) prior to the Enrollment Cancelation deadline;
  • Provide a written request to be certified by the School Certifying Official;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies