As a teacher of writing and literature, I seek to empower students through a critical and creative understanding of how best to harness media and technologies, old and new, as a means to envision and achieve success in their professional lives. As a researcher, I have written in the areas of Irish literature, modernism, technology, and globalization. On my off-time, I hike, write, play guitar, play chess, and collect old typewriters.
- PhD, Florida State University, 2010, Irish Literature and Modernism
- MA, Florida State University, 2003, Irish Literature and Modernism
- English 1110
- English 1120
I have taught literature, writing, and humanities courses including: American Literature Since 1900, Composition I, Composition II, Contemporary American Literature, Contemporary Irish Literature, Foundations of the Humanities, Honors Writing about Literature, Intro to Poetry, Irish Literature, James Joyce, Media Studies: What is a Text?, Modern British Literature, Modern British Novel, Science Fiction Literature, The Short Story, and World Literature II.
Prior to teaching at University of New Mexico, I taught as an assistant professor at Broward College and as a visiting lecturer at Florida State University.
- "A Hitchhiker's Guide to Modernism: Futuristic Fordisms of Aldous Huxley, Brian O'Nolan, and Douglas Adams" Popular Modernism and Its Legacies: From Pop Literature to Video Games. Ed. Scott Ortolano. Bloomsbury Publishers, 2017: 165-182.
- "Reassembling Ford: Time is Money in Brian O'Nolan's Brave New Ireland." Parish Review 3.1. Fall 2014: 33-42.
- "A Neuropolitics of Subjectivity in Samuel Beckett's Three Novels." Edinburgh Companion to Samuel Beckett and the Arts. Edinburgh University Press, 2014: 78-88.
- "Museyrooms and Möbius Effects: A Ruim of History in Finnegans Wake.” Hypermedia Joyce Studies. 12.1 (February 2012).
- “Samuel Beckett’s Short Plays: The Staging of Subtracted Histories.” Revista do Programa de Pós-Graduação em Arte da Universidade Federal de Brazilia 9.2 (2010): 141-149.
- "Review of Samuel Beckett and Pain. Eds. Mariko Hori Tanaka, Yoshiki Tajiri, and Michiko Tsushima." The Beckett Circle. (Spring 2013).
- "Footfalls Echo." Backspaces: Typewritten Tales of Time Travel (Cold Hard Type). Loose Dog Press. Forthcoming.
- "A Winter Kiss Along the Garden of Tomorrows." Escapements: Typewritten Tales of Post-Digital Worlds (Cold Hard Type). Loose Dog Press, 2019: 20-38.
- Backspaces: Typewritten Tales of Time Travel (Cold Hard Type). Eds. Richard Polt, Frederic S. Durbin, and Andrew V. McFeaters. Loose Dog Press, Forthcoming.
- Escapements: Typewritten Tales of Post-Digital Worlds (Cold Hard Type). Eds. Richard Polt, Frederic S. Durbin, and Andrew V. McFeaters. Loose Dog Press, 2019.
- Paradigm Shifts: Typewritten Tales of Digital Collapse (Cold Hard Type). Eds. Richard Polt, Frederic S. Durbin, and Andrew V. McFeaters. Loose Dog Press, 2019.
- 2019 - Arts, Humanities, Communications and Design Certificate of Appreciation (Broward College)
- 2019 - Professor of the Year Finalist (Broward College)
- 2019 - Tenured (Broward College)
- 2018 - Apen Faculty Innovation Grant (Broward College)
- 2012 - Nominated for University Excellence in Teaching Award (Florida State University)
- 2010 - Bertram and Ruth Davis Outstanding Dissertation Award (Florida State University)