Special Admission Options

Requirements for non-accredited home/high school students

The university provides admission for those students (minimum age 16) who have been home-schooled or attended a non -accredited high school. Home School students must submit the following materials:

  1. Application for Admission
  2. A $15 non-refundable fee for Associate degree programs.
  3. Passing General Education Development (GED) test or home school transcript reflecting a graduation date (Completion of the GED is preferred for students seeking the New Mexico Success Lottery Scholarship).



Middle College High School

The Middle College High School (MCHS) is a New Mexico public charter middle college high school located on the University of New Mexico-Gallup campus in the Portable Buildings next to the Gymnasium. Students from the area who are residents of New Mexico with 6 high school credits can enroll into this rigorous academic and career focused program.

The MCHS has a small enrollment of only sixty students who can take part in the program. A lottery is held before each semester for enrollment. The MCHS students are enrolled both in the high school program to earn their diploma as well as with the University of New Mexico-Gallup. Students take college courses only while earning both college and high school credits. Students are also required to take part in other components of the MCHS program. These include: small group seminar, tutoring, professional mentoring, job shadowing, service learning, and work - study.

For more information visit MCHS Admissions webpage.

Center for Career & Technical Educational Credit (CCTE)

Students enrolled with the CCTE at UNM-Gallup may earn up to eight credits per semester, which may apply towards a technical degree at no charge to the student. The courses are taught by CCTE faculty at a pace consistent with the learning level of high school students. The same material is covered as in the college class of the same name.

College credit is earned concurrently with credit applicable towards a high school diploma. Check with your high school counselor to see if your high school participates in the CCTE program. For more information visit UNM-Gallup CCTE webpage.

Dual Credit and Concurrent Enrollment

Dual credit is a program which provides public high school students the opportunity to receive credit for both high school and college by taking a single qualifying course.

Dual credit is a state statute, revised in 2007 by the State legislature – Senate Bill 943, Statutory Authority, Section 9-25-8 NMSA (01/01/08). Concurrent enrollment functions similarly but does not required that the college course be aligned with a corresponding high school course. Consequently, the student is not guaranteed that the high school will accept the college credit toward high school graduation requirement.

Unlike dual credit, concurrent enrollment is an option available to private and home schooled students. One form of dual credit, referred to as college offered, requires that the student attend regularly scheduled UNM-Gallup courses, either on campus or at an off-site (which can include at the high after hours).

Another form of dual credit, referred to as school offered, allows students to receive college credit for courses they are taking at the high school.

In addition, dual credit courses can be academic or career-technical in nature. Developmental or remedial courses cannot be offered for dual credit.

Admission for this program is a non-degree status an does not constitute regular admission to UNM.

To be considered for dual credit or concurrent enrollment it is necessary for the student to meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:

To qualify for academic dual credit or concurrent enrollment courses, a high school student must:

  1. Be a public high school student (Note: this is a requirement for dual credit; private and home school students are on concurrent enrollment status).
  2. Be at least 16 years old (exceptions can be made in certain situations with approval of a parent, high school principal, and college dean);
  3. Have a minimum 2.5 GPA;
  4. Achieve minimum qualifying score on the ACT, SAT, or COMPASS tests (this applies to English and Mathematics courses and courses with require college-level English or Mathematics prerequisites); and
  5. Complete the Dual Enrollment Initial Application Packet form provided by UNM-Gallup and provide an official high school transcript.

To qualify for career technical courses, a high school student must:

  1. Be a public high school student (please see note in Number 1 above);
  2. Be at least a high school freshmen;
  3. Have a minimum 2.0 GPA; and
  4. Complete the Admissions Application and provide an official high school transcript.