UNM-Gallup Dental Assisting
With a certificate in Dental Assisting, you can find a way to utilize both communication and technical skills in flexible and interesting work environments. Work chair-side with dentists as part of a dental care team to make patients comfortable. Our program trains dental assistants for work that involves direct patient care, lab duties and general office tasks. If you like to work with your hands doing a variety of skills, this could be the career for you.
The UNMG Dental Assisting Science Program assists lifelong learners to develop clinically competent and culturally sensitive dental care for patients in the private, public and rural dental health care settings.
- Demonstrate clinical competencies as a qualified entry level dental assistant who can perform a variety of dental assisting tasks using state-of-the-art methods and materials in private, public, and rural dental health care dental settings.
- The student will demonstrate safe and efficient dental health care by being in compliance with both Federal and New Mexico state standards and regulations under the supervision of the dentist.
- The student will provide dental services with respect and compassion for all cultural diversities.
- The student will demonstrate legal and ethical behavior that adheres to the professional conduct in dentistry.
- The student will be prepared academically with the knowledge and skill competence to qualify for both the New Mexico certificate examinations and the Dental Assisting National Board examination.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with patients and the dental team.
- The student will demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional advancement upon program graduation.
Our program has determined it meets professional licensure requirements in the state of New Mexico. It has not determined it meets professional licensure requirements in any other state.