Overview of Lobo Academy
Every year during our summer semester, we look for newly admitted freshman to participate in our summer bridge program called Lobo Academy. This fast-paced and dynamic summer program helps brand new freshman make that transition from high school to college life. While in Lobo Academy, these students will work toward improving their placement levels in Math and English while also gaining college credit for a mandatory freshman class called UNIV 101. This program was created to help students who have demonstrated a strong commitment to attend and be successful in college. We work with these students to build their skills for college success and provide knowledge about campus resources while helping them feel at home in our TRIO center and on campus.
Lobo Academy is a six week program that provides a comprehensive academic opportunity comprised of Math and English sessions. Students can develop and grow their academic skills at no monetary cost to themselves if they qualify for the program. Lobo Academy focuses on college orientation and providing academic support designed to acclimate students to college expectations and building a strong academic foundation.
Students admitted to Lobo Academy receive the following benefits:
- Enroll in a 3 credit hour UNIV 101 class
- Receive FREE classes in writing, reading and math
- Receive financial aid (based on eligibility)
- Join the TRIO/Student Support Services program to increase your chance of success
- Learn about different careers and programs
- Become familiar with the campus, the staff, and the faculty
- Travel to a four-year university and learn about transfer options
- Meet new people
- Have FUN!!!
The application process for the TRIO/SSS Lobo Academy:
The 2018 Lobo Academy Program will begin June 04 through July 13, 2018
- Be admitted to University of New Mexico- Gallup and intend to enroll fall 2018
- Complete an UNMG TRIO/SSS Lobo Academy application
- Please note: before your application can be reviewed for the TRIO/SSS Lobo Academy program, you must print, complete, sign and return the Lobo Academy TRIO Application. If you were required to report your parents’/guardians’ income information on the FAFSA, they will need to submit their 2016 Federal Taxes.
- Complete both the 2018-2019 AND 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Submit your all official high school transcripts
Note: Applicants selected to participate in Lobo Academy must be first generation college students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds and may have a documented disability (physical and/or learning).